Thursday 12 July 2012

Through Upper Normandy

June 13th
We were now in Upper Normandy, and one thing I noticed was the increasing presence of fences and hedgerows, which had been noticeably absent almost all the way from Beijing. Almost like home!  I was able to follow a Grand Randonnee de Pays virtually all the way to my day's destination of Saint Saens, but the route was sometimes a bit challenging... 
The route markings for the GRP were often faded....(yes it is on the tree trunk and just as well I am a good map reader)....
 
...and the paths overgrown.....
..we had to negotiate narrow foot bridges.....
 ..and long dark railway tunnels..
But Zorbee is nothing if not a trooper, and tackled everything with aplomb.

And yes he did manage to squeeze through that narrow gap, though it was only later that I realised we were not on the Grand Randonnee!.....
.

The scarecrows seem much more homely here in Normandy - this one is just back from a shopping trip to Aldi's....
I thought I had a grey horse, but to my surprise I discover it is skewbald....
....Zorbee settles down to eat after a good roll at the Saint Saens stables of yet another fellow Welsh pony breeder Anais Lefebre..

No comments:

Post a Comment