Monday 19 May 2014

A night under the stars

Cabot came to move the truck to Arnold's Cove on Wednesday morning while I loaded Lady up with enough gear for an overnight stop, being as Albert had rejected the pack rig.  Setting off from Long Harbour Station with two sleeping bags slung over the pommel and the rest in a couple of small saddle bags...
 
More stunning countryside......
 
Old school buses make handy cabins ..........

 
I had left a feed drop under a bush at Tickle Harbour Station several days before and to my relief it had not been scoffed by moose in the meantime.  The horses were tied to a bushy tree in a sheltered hollow and I made up a nest from two sleeping bags wrapped in a tarpaulin .... 
....very cosy even though my water bottles froze solid overnight. 
Long but scenic ride up to Arnold's Cove on Thursday, though stretches of the rail bed were quite stony so I had to get off and lead.  Only passed one person on an ATV the whole two days.
 
 
 
 
The horses had kept me awake squabbling overnight, so I arrived at Arnold's Cove absolutely exhausted.  But the horses had ample grass courtesy of Dexter Lockyer, and sister Wilma revived me with a bottle of iceberg beer at the Tanker Inn. Not only that, but she took me into her home where I was treated to a supper of canned moose with a glass of wine before I crashed into bed. It was a pity that I was so zombified as she was in one of the families relocated from the island outports in the 1970s and I would have loved to have heard more about her early life on Woody Island.   Wilma with her two sheltie dogs......
 


No comments:

Post a Comment