Sunday 21 September 2014

Into New Brunswick

Thursday 11th September, and after several last minute international phone calls to my bank I was able to get away.  Many thanks to Gillian VanSnick for hosting us for the extra day while I sorted out my finances.  A rather ethereal photo of Gillian as I later discovered she had her eyes closed in both the photos I took..........

The Trans Canada highway from Nova Scotia to New Brunswick crosses the Missaguash valley beyond Amherst on an elevated carriageway impassable for horses.  The only other option, if one wants to avoid a considerable detour to the north, is a small road crossing the marshes.
So it was a bit of a setback to find that there had been a road collapse which Lady was initially unwilling to negotiate.  However, after taking off all her kit and commandeering a local to encourage her from behind, she walked across with no trouble - a fuss about nothing!..................

Then it was a lovely ride across the marshes to cross the Missaguash river into New Brunswick....
..before encountering our first covered bridge......
Lady was not so sure, and I had to lead her through.
We stopped for a welcome rest and refreshment in Aulac with Tracy Allen.  I had nowhere sorted out for the night, so I was very pleased when I got talking to local resident Paula in Upper Sackville, and she phoned a friend who lived directly on our route.  Lori used to work at Cloverdale Stables in Newfoundland, and greeted us at the entrance to her house with family retinue of Leah, Reuben, Silas and Naomi.  Lady was tethered in the garden, though she retreated to an old shed when the mosquitoes suddenly emerged from the forest (and I thought they had all gone!) and  I was able to make use of a lovely basement flat - much better than a tent on a rainy night!

Seen in Amherst .. I suppose comments about Australian buses are inevitable  ..

No comments:

Post a Comment