Sunday 24 May 2015

Night on a park bench

Canada geese on the Centenntial Frontenac Trail near Maberley May 12th ....
After passing through Sharbot Lake, where I stopped for lunch at a little cafĂ© overlooking the lake, we re-joined the Trans Canada Trail.  This section was quite flooded in parts...

Flooding on the trails are quite often caused by the activities of beavers, who build some impressive dams such as this one ..
We disturb an osprey on its nest....
The platform is man made.  
  A little way further down the trail I encountered a pick-up driven by a genial bear of a man.  "I've been looking for you for days" he announced.  Mike Hawley invited me to stay at his house just down the trail, and although it was a bit early in the day I decided to take advantage of his offer.  A good decision as Lady needed a rest, and I crashed out for two hours immediately on arrival!  It was an excellent opportunity for us both to chill out, and I was spoilt by Bob and wife Norah, shown below in front of their characterful old cedar house in the middle of nowhere.
Bob has a large extended family in the area, and by chance the next morning May 13th I bumped into his twin sisters Arlene and Marlene gathering plants on the trail for a bird sanctuary in Mountain Grove...
Another stunning section of trail...
....and well maintained if flooded in parts. 
 
The woodland floor was sometimes dotted with pretty white flowers..
..and it turned out these were trillium, the Ontario provincial emblem.  Like the tulip n Kazakhstan, they only last for a couple of weeks, so I was lucky to see them.
After miles of riding through uninhabited forest, I arrived at Kaladar.  I could not find anywhere for Lady, and she ended up tethered behind the community centre, though the cooler weather meant the mosquitoes were minimal.  I curled up in my bivi and sleeping bags in my airy bedroom...
Not very restful as lorries thundered past all night on the Trans Canada Highway which passes through Kaladar.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment